Friday, September 9, 2011

We have arrived

It was a very uneventful trip.  We had 1 hour delays for both legs but we had a long layover so it didn't really matter.  Everyone did well though Melissa looks like she has been hypnotized.

We got picked up, drove to the new apartment just down the street from the SDA, changed and went out to a local restaurant.  Melissa and I had borscht which was pretty good but not as good as home.  Melissa and Ashley had Pelmeni but the sour cream was definitely different so they didn't like it much.  This restaurant is more expensive than the buffet by the previous apartment so I may see about walking to the other one from here... and this one has english menus which feels like cheating the experience.

The nearest money changer was open to 8:30p so I, and 20 other american tourists from a tour group, decided to us it.  I'm not sure I could ever do the tour group thing... 20 people walking around like they were part of a high school class with a bunch of preplanned group excursions... just doesn't seem like me.

We got the dossiers from other people and the peanut butter we take into the right hands.

Ashley did really well on the flight... better than Melissa.  After dinner she started getting stubborn but once we managed to get her in the shower, she came out and zonked on the bed completely.

Speaking of beds... I'm weird, to people who know me that comes to no surprise... I tend to look at certain things in upside down ways.  They had a two bedroom apartment available but we chose the one bedroom.  It was more expensive but I already told Melissa I didn't feel comfortable with Ashley sleeping in a room by herself.  But even in this scenario, I took the couch... as soon as I sat on it I knew I wanted it. It is a hard foam couch.  One of my problems traveling and sleeping are the mattresses... I don't even like our 10yr old one at home.  I like very firm beds and they help my back not hurt.

That said... I'm the one who woke up after 5hrs of sleep at 2:30a feeling refereshed.  Just took an Ambien to get back to bed so if this gets loopier than normal that is why.

3 comments:

  1. Good to know you made it safe. Sounds like everyone did well. Good luck with all of the proceedings. We are very grateful that you could deliver our documents. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We took the less expensive appartment, dear! :) This one is $70 and the other was $85 for the two bedroom. And, you being up kept waking me up, thanks! Now I'm up at 6am (who said we'd be needing food before 9am) due to my stupid allergies and by the time the benadryl kicks in Ashley will be up ... you know she can't ever sleep in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it and hope your day is full of peace with the challenges you're facing. Thank you for delivering our documents!

    ReplyDelete